The U.S. president message
President Barack Obama said “Digital Promise is a unique partnership that will bring everyone together – educators, entrepreneurs, and researchers – to use technology to help students learn and teachers teach. There’s no silver bullet when it comes to education, but technology can be a powerful tool, and Digital Promise will help us make the most of it.”
Digital Promise is a nonprofit corporation authorized by Congress “to support a comprehensive research and development program to harness the increasing capacity of advanced information and digital technologies to improve all levels of learning and education, formal and informal, in order to provide Americans with the knowledge and skills needed to compete in the global economy.”
In 2008, Digital Promise was formally authorized as the National Center for Research in Advanced Information and Digital Technologies through the Higher Education Opportunity Act, which was signed into law by President George W. Bush. With an initial Board of Directors recommended in part by Members of Congress and appointed by Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, Digital Promise was formally launched by President Barack Obama in September 2011 with startup support from the U.S. Department of Education, Carnegie Corporation of New York, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
The Digital Promise League
The Digital Promise League of Innovative Schools is a unique national coalition of 32 school districts in 21 states that serve more than 2.7 million students. Through partnerships with start-ups, research institutions, and one another, League districts are committing to demonstrate, evaluate, and scale up innovations that deliver better results for students.
- Discovery Education And Digital Promise Host Summit On The Transition To Digital Classrooms: ‘Future@Now’ Accelerates National Discussion On Digital Learning And The Impact On College And Workforce Readiness (sys-con.com)
- “How can we expand personalized learning?” Adam Frankel (studereducation.wordpress.com)
- Here’s how to scale school innovation (eschoolnews.com)
- EU Digital Agenda chief promises single mobile market by 2015 (zdnet.com)
- ‘The New Digital Age’: Promise and Peril Ahead for the Global Internet (business.time.com)